1. Meet SAR
    1. Who We Are
    2. What We Do
    3. Become a Member
    4. Headquarters
    5. FAQ's
    6. News
    7. Events
    8. SAR Stories
    9. SAR Cares
  2. Genealogy
    1. SAR Genealogical Policies and Materials
    2. Genealogical Copy Services
    3. Genealogical Research Services
    4. SAR Genealogy Assistants
    5. Patriot Research System
    6. Genealogy Seminar - Recruiting & Qualifying
  3. Education
    1. SAR Outreach Education
    2. Youth Contests and Awards
    3. Education Awards
    4. SAR CAAH Resolution
    5. Children of the American Revolution
    6. Youth Exchange
    7. Resources & Downloads
  4. American Revolution
    1. Timeline
  5. Compatriots
    1. SAR Staff
    2. SAR Ladies Auxiliary
    3. SAR Foundation Interpretive Plan
    4. Member Tools
    5. SAR Committees
    6. SAR Magazine
    7. Website Resources
    8. Congress Information
    9. Leadership Information



Common Questions About SAR

There are several ways to report the passing of a Compatriot.

You can contact the local Chapter officers.  They in turn will pass the information on to the State Society and National.

You can also send an email to the National Registrar at Registrar@sar.org with the Compatriot's full name and National Number (if known).  If you do not know the National Number, please include the address of the Compatriot so that we can match the information.

There is also a reporting form on the website at the following link:

Compatriot Death Report Form

Transferring your membership to another State Society can be simple or a little complicated.

The form to initiate a transfer can be found on the following link:  

Transfer Membership Application

What can make it complicated is if you have a Life Membership in your original State Society.  Chances are that Life Membership will not transfer to the new State Society.  If that ends up being your situation, you may want to consider a Dual Membership in your new location.

If you have let your membership lapse and would like to reinstate your membership, reach out to your State Society Secretary or Registrar to start the process.

You can contact via email from the following link:

Find Your Chapter

If your membership lapse because you moved to another state and you would like to reinstate your membership in your new location, reach out to the State Society Secretary or Registrar in your new location.

There is also a form to assist with this Reinstatement-Transfer:

Reinstatement - Transfer Application

You can contact the State Secretary or Registrar in your new location and they can direct you to a Chapter that is close to you.

You can contact via email from the following link:

Find Your Chapter

Another option is to visit the various State Societies web sites to locate a Chapter near you:

State Society Web links

The National Life Membership program was originally offered to Compatriots who were members in State Societies that did not offer any type of Life Membership program.

The National Life Membership program does not cover the State Society and Chapter dues of a Compatriot.  It only covers the National dues owed.

The form for this program can be found using the following link:

National Life Membership Application Form

If you have lost your original membership certificate for whatever reason and you would like to get a replacement, then click on the following link:

Replacement Certificate Order Form

This service is available through the National Registrar's office.

Receive Our Newsletter

Our Latest Merchandise

NSSAR Auto Badge

Contact Us

The National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution Headquarters

809 W. Main Street | Louisville, KY 40202

Genealogical Research Library

809 W. Main Street | Louisville, KY 40202

(P) 502-589-1776
(F) 502-589-1671
(E) NSSAR@sar.org


(P) 502-589-1779
(E) merchandise@sar.org

© 2018 Sons of the American Revolution.